I’ve never understood why people only celebrate their birthday on their day of birth. I mean, let’s face it, most of us have to get up, go to work, head out for a dinner and then, it’s off to bed. Hardly ideal is it? So why not make the celebration an extended one? After all, it’s only a once a year happening so why not make the most of it? This year is a landmark for me. I’ll be turning 40!
In previous years, I have lent towards a 10-14 day period of celebration. We don’t always enjoy our lives as much as we should be so it’s important to remember to put time into yourself every now and then. This year, however, and for the first time, I have decided in my infinite wisdom to celebrate for the entire month. But what can one do to carry celebrations over an entire period of thirty-one days? It’s all rather simple. Let me explain in more detail.
Do more of what you already love doing. Yep, it’s that easy. As many of you know, I am a big fan of pursuing hobbies and interests. I love watching films, listening to music, walking, running, travelling, reading, attending theater and trying new things out. In as much, I have made some tangible goals to achieve. Even if I don’t accomplish all of these, I will have fun trying.
- WALKING/RUNNING: My target is to clock up 400 km’s in walking and running. It breaks down to an average of 13 km’s a day, every day.
- CINEMA: I’ve fallen behind in my attempt to see 100 films at the cinema in 2017 so July is the perfect time to get things back on track. With this in mind, I plan to see 16 films in July at an average 4 per week. This will get my 100 in 2017 back on the rails. I’m sitting on 36 at the moment.
- MUSIC: The target is to listen to 31 albums I have never heard before in my life. It’s an opportunity to explore new artists or discover a side to others I didn’t know. And having Spotify, this will be an easy target to accomplish.
- TRAVEL: I’m at work for most of the month but am going to throw in a cheeky weekend away in Sydney (my home town) to see some AFL, rugby league and catch up with old friends.
- READING: Four books in 4 weeks. That’s the plan at least. With a target in mind, it will allow me to focus on reading more than I normally do and keep me off social media and music forums.
- TRYING NEW THINGS: Have you ever gone sky diving? Nope, me either. I’m petrified of heights too so this will be a new adventure of sorts. I’m thinking Byron Bay or somewhere tasty like that?
- TATTOO TIME: Last year, I got my Bowie tattoo done so this year, I’m looking at some new ideas to get inked into my skin. Time to put my inking cap on and plan away.
The month is all about adventure and doing things that make me happy. More so than any other time of the year. It’s an exciting prospect and perhaps, it may be time for you to try it yourself? Wish me luck!