You don’t know it yet but you are already well and truly on the way to failure in 2017. Why you ask? Well, let me explain a little further.
As 2016 draws to a closure, I am seeing more and social media quotes trying to convince me why 2016 has been a horridble year to remember. The two contributing factors to this have been celebrity deaths and the American Presidential election. Your 2016 has “failed” because you allowed yourself to get sucked into the media hype and emotions. Why do you feel heartbroken and devastated when a celebrity dies? Because you are too easily led by the media and trying to fit in by hash tagging fake emotions.
Another reason why your year may have not lived up to expectations is because you continue to allow banks and corporations to own you! You owe money to banks and have a house full of junk that you actually don’t need. You may also be a drinker and a smoker or even a recreational drug taker. Until you change this situation your 2017 is going to follow a similar direction to 2016 and you will be back here again on Boxing Day next year thinking exactly the things.
So how do you make the coming twelve months memorable? These are a few steps to set you in the right direction.
- Turn off your TV and stop being controlled by outside influences. Television turns you into a brain dead zombie. We spend on average 1,500 hours a year watching television. That is more than four hours every day in front of the idiot box watching pointless drivel for the best part.
- Set achievable goals that will make you happy. If you don’t write it down then chances are it just won’t happen. Sit down tonight and write a list of all your dreams and desires. Then set out guidelines and deadlines to help you teach the goals.
- Exercise and eat healthy. Join the gym and make it habitual. You won’t like it at first because it’s hard but the more you go, the more you will enjoy yourself. If you stop watching TV you will have an extra 20-30 hours a week to focus on being active and healthy. This will cleanse your mind and soul.
- Just book it! Stop worrying about the cost of that trip to Thailand or France and just spend the money on the trip. You can’t take possessions and houses to your grave but you can take wonderful memories.
- Minimise the junk in your life. Today is the day to fill a clothes bag or six and finally rid yourself of the cluster that only bogs you down. That spare dinner set you never use? Give it to a friend who will actually use it. The happiest people are those with the least.
- Quite the bad habits. If you spend $100 a week on cigarettes and alcohol then you are wasting over $5,000 a year! That money could buy you return flights and 6 weeks in South America. What are you waiting for?
- Don’t let celebrity deaths weigh you down. If a famous person who has died means something to you, celebrate their life and embrace the gifts they gave to you when they were alive and well.
- Spreadsheet it! Be it your budget, travel plans, running goals, grocery purchases or a list of the books you own, spreadsheet it and keep it organised. If you are organised you will achieve a great deal more.
- Leave that shit job or relationship you are in! Don’t let fear or comfort stop you from breaking free! Make the hard choices easy by doing it now and stop finding excuses.
- Do what makes you happy! Every year I tell friends to just do what makes them happy. You will be dead before you know it so live for you and stop procrastinating. Don’t do something because everyone else does or you think you will fit in and be accepted.
If you put these tips into practise then I can only promise you that 2017 will be a year to remember.